National: Allen & Overy, Accelerate Programme (university pathway) Law Application Masterclass In person event
This event is for: Year 13s or Final Year College students (up to age 21). To meet the criteria for this event, you should be planning on attending university and interested in a career in law, particularly in becoming a solicitor, and have an interest in applying for Allen & Overy's Accelerate Programme, taking place in August 2023, as well as meeting the social mobility criteria outlined below.
Travel expenses up to £100 are covered so those inside or outside of London are encouraged to apply.
Allen and Overy have been crowned the ‘Most Innovative Law Firm in Europe’ at the prestigious Financial Times Innovative Lawyer Awards for a record-breaking six times! All of this and more is a testament to their future-focused and digital mindset.
A&O's Accelerate Programme runs in August 2023 and is a series of 4 workshops where you are introduced to the soft skills required to become a lawyer, and connected with mentors who can offer guidance around your first steps into the law industry.
Who should attend - Applicants must:
- Have always attended a state-funded or non-fee paying school
- Come from a household where no parent or guardian has a qualification from a UK university
- Be a UK national or EU national with settled status in the UK by the time they apply for university
Applicants must also meet one of the following additional criteria.
- Receive, or have previously received free school meals, Education Maintenance Allowance or a 16
- to 19 Bursary Fund
- Have parent(s)/guardian(s) who receive income support or housing benefits
- Be or have been in local authority care (for at least three months)
- Be or have been a full-time or part-time young carer
- Come to the UK as a refugee or asylum seeker
- Be attending a school or college with:
- Below average A-Level or Scottish Highers points score, and/or
- A low rate of progression to higher education
This Masterclass builds on the previous Insight Evening that took place in February, however, it is not a requirement for you to have attended that event to come to this application masterclass. At this event you'll get to meet the recruiters - you'll receive information, support and guidance on how to make a great application to the Accelerate Programme.
Find out more about A&O on their Company Page.
- 14:00-14:05: Uptree and Allen & Overy Welcome
- 14:05-14:15: Ice Breaker
- 14:15-14:45: Overview of A&O's Accelerate Programme and the A&O First Scheme
- 14:45-15:15: Completing the Application process
- 15:15-16:00: Afternoon tea
- 16:00-17:00: A&O First Scheme student and trainee panel
- 17:00-17:20: Next steps and Q&A
- 17:20: Wrap Up
- Register for this in-person event using your Uptree account. If you do not have an Uptree account, register here.
- There are only 60 spaces available for this event.
- Prioritisation will begin two weeks before the event: successful applicants will receive an invitation 1-2 weeks before the event. If you register after this time, you might not receive a response.
Any questions, please do contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please make a note of the office location above before applying - remember, travel expenses up to £100 are covered so even if you're not in London, you are encouraged to apply.
This is an in-person event and will be hosted at the company's offices. All venues are covid-safe and meet government guidelines of health and safety. If you are allocated a place, you will be sent the company's safety guidelines a week in advance, eg. if masks are to be worn. You will be expected to follow any guidance from the company on the day.
Photo and video consent
At any Uptree event, including those held online using video conferencing software, we may take photographs or video footage for the purpose of marketing. These images may appear on our website, social media, and press releases to create awareness of our brand. We may also share the photographs with our partner companies for them to share across social media. By registering for an event with Uptree, you are permitting Uptree to take/use photographs of you and share them with our partners.
If you would not like us to take photographs of you, please let us know by emailing the name of the event and your name to email@example.com
Please note that due to online safeguarding policies and to protect all students’ privacy, pictures and screenshots are not allowed to be taken during the session. If you would like to post about your experience on LinkedIn or other social channels, we will be sharing photos from the event in a follow-up email and you are more than welcome to use and share these.