What is it?
Advertising is an audio or visual form of marketing to promote or sell a good or service. Sponsors of advertising are often businesses who wish to promote their products or services.
What skills do you need?
Team work ➕ Creativity ➕ Problem Solving ➕ Budgeting ➕ Decision Making ➕ Coherent writing ability ➕ Persuasion
- Saatchi & Saatchi
- Grey Health Group
- <1 year experience: £21,298
- 1-4 years' experience: £25,532
- 5-9 years' experience: £35,932
- 10-19 years' experience: £49,677
What qualifications do you need?
Agencies will recruit graduates from a broad range of degree courses. A qualification in business studies, media studies, psychology, marketing or advertising is sometimes preferable.
Link to blog / stories linking to this industry / link to Uptree events etc
Pathway options / different routes in / next steps
There are a wide range of degrees available that are suited to the advertisement industry and there are also three apprenticeships designed by employers to prepare you for this industry:
- Higher Apprenticeship in Advertising and Marketing Communications
- Advanced Apprenticeship in Creative and Digital Media
- Higher Apprenticeship in Interactive Design and Development
Money is power in this industry and more than often it is the client providing the financial backing so be prepared to have your creative ideas discarded by the clients.
- Account executive
- Account manager
- Account planner
- Art director
- Media buyer
- Media planner